Friday, November 09, 2007

Mama Bear is roaring...

Mama bear protecting her young came out last night at Dallas' basketball game and I decided to send an angry e-mail to the coaches and the principal. The incident happened last night though and I couldn't send the e-mail until this morning...now most people would probably have calmed down overnight and lost their momentum...so, I had to get in "Lola" mode this morning to still express my extreme discontent (Lola is my evil twin who swears like a sailor).

Below is my e-mail to the school...

I am writing this to express my great upset and disappointment about the 7th grade boys basketball games starting earlier than scheduled. Twice this year I have arrived right at or before the scheduled start time only to find that I have missed my son play completely or, like last night, there was 24 seconds left in his quarter and it was only 3:25 pm. This may not seem important to staff but it is very important to me and I would venture to say to most parents.

I saw another parent walk in half way through his son’s quarter last night too. I also overheard another parent ask their son “am I going to have to start showing up at 3:00 pm”. Well, that may not be possible for all parents. Most parents have to leave their place of employment early in order to see their kid play for 5 minutes. I cannot tell you how upsetting it is to jump through those hoops, get there in time and yet miss everything.

I personally have been busting myself not only trying to see my 7th grader but also my 8th grader who plays on the same night. I am starting off at the 7th grade games and then hightailing it, with a 3 year old in tow, to wherever the 8th grade is playing. I do this because I love my sons and will do whatever I can to support them by whatever means necessary. I think every kid should have someone at their event cheering them on. Someone who is there for them. Unfortunately, for my boys, I am that only someone and it’s extremely hard to be in two places at once but I do everything I can. Do you have any idea how it feels to do everything you possible can and still come up short in your kids’ eyes? That is how I felt last night! And why? To start a game 10 – 15 minutes early? Why? So everyone can get home 10 – 15 minutes early? I don’t care how late I get home so long as it meant my kid was given the love and support they deserve. It would be nice if the school felt the same way and helped out struggling parents instead of hindering their efforts.

No comments: