Monday, December 17, 2007

Pardon the interruption...

Do you now an interupter? You know that person who when you are talking butts in to either...

1) say how that same thing happened to them or someone in their family only much worse or much better whichever the case may be.

- or -

2) say something completely off track that has nothing to do with what you were saying

- or - I almost forgot this one...

3) to talk to someone else in the room (or yell at their kids)

Now I can see how occasionally it's unavoidable or a slip of good conscious (not to mention social decency) to interrupt. And I admit I have been guilty of it myself from time to time. BUT the difference between myself and this other socially inept mutant is that I feel bad afterward, apologize for interupting and politely let the person finish as soon as I am done (ha).

What gets me is the interupter who not only interupts once in a single converstion but continues to do so to the point that you NEVER finish what you were saying and they NEVER notice. They were never invested in what you were saying whatsoever. They are so obsessively narcissistic that they never give the lead back to you. No "I'm sorry, what were you saying" or "Oh I didn't mean to interrupt, go on". The worse head cases will go on and on with their interuption and then say, "where was I going with this". At this point, you are willing to jab them in the eye with a screwdriver to get them to shut up. But no, being the beacon of Emily Post rules of etiquette that you are, you listen intently while visions of them choking on their last breathe dance in your head and then you finally get a word in which is of course "I'm sorry, what were you saying".

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

No comments: