Tuesday, November 04, 2008

40 Year Old Virgin Voter

You've heard of the movie "40 Year Old Virgin"? Well, I am the almost 40 year old virgin voter. I have NEVER voted in my life!! I've wanted to. I've felt strongly either about particular candiates or the party they represent and have wanted to sway the election with my one vote. This year is no different. I have a candidate I am behind and want to do my DEMOCRATic duty (hint, hint) but I have NO idea how to go about it.

I do not do well in situations that I don't know exact what to do. I feel stupid. But I do not like it when (or if) people think I am stupid. Cuz I am not, I just have blonde moments occassionally, and it drives me absolutely crazy to think that people think I am dumb because I am not. But I feel I will definitely look like an idiot walking into a polling place (if I could even find the right one) and not have a single clue what to say or do. I get paralyzed with fear so I do nothing.

The closest I've come to voting in the passed (other than in school when we voted on little slips of paper) was requesting the Absentee Ballot. I figured this is good because then I don't have to actually go into the polling place and see actual people who will think I am an idiot. BUT since I am the biggest procrastinator and hardly ever open my mail...I never get the absentee ballot opened let alone filled out or sent in.

I've never disclosed until the last few days that I have NEVER voted. Again, because I felt stupid. I mean, how could I not vote? How could I not let my voice be heard? How stupid is it that I don't take advantage of this priviledge to choose? I mentioned my lack of voting and the fear that has kept me from voting to some co-workers this morning and with some coaching, I'm starting to feel like maybe I could try it this year. This is a particularly historic election and I do feel strongly for my party. I need to concur this fear and get out there and Rock the Vote.

If only I could get someone to pick me up, take me to the polls, give me a little shove in the right direction and perhaps a stiff drink (did you know there are 7 states that ban alcohol sales on election day? Iowa is NOT one of them), I'd feel much better about it. Anyone? No? Ok so I guess I am on my own today.

So this is my Girl Scout pledge...

On my honor, I'll do my best, to not be so damn repressed!

No comments: