Thursday, November 13, 2008

walk and chew gum...nope, just can't do it...

You know that old saying about "can't walk and chew gum at the same time"? (I swear there is also some saying about "can't walk through a door without hitting both sides" . I wish someone could back me up on that one cuz no one else seems to know it.)

ANYWHO...today I was trying to get through a door carrying all our paychecks, the box I was using was a total POS and it began to buckle. While I was trying to get a handle on the box so I wouldn't drop the checks all over the floor, the door came back and hit me (did I mention it was a weighted door), smashing me into the door frame and jamming my elbow into (and I mean actually inside) the latch plate. It hurt like hell. Lola (evil twin) emerged for a few moments to swear like a sailor for me like she usually does. The pain did not go away, it hurt to reach my arm out, it hurt to let it hang, it hurt to walk. Why was I walking on my hands you ask? No, I mean, the natural sway of your arms when you walk even hurt. So, I got to visit our worker's comp doctor and left there in a sling. Yep, that's right I became a recordable OSHA incident to my company all because I am too stupid to open a door far enough to walk through it properly. That's borderline Darwin-ism. I expect to get only Honorable Mention though on this year's list since I didn't actually manage to kill myself in some ridiculous fashion.

The incident report I had to fill out had a section to include any contributing factors to the injury...I told our Safety dept there was no space on the form the indicate "blonde". I think a new version of that document is being drafted as we speak...probably just for my personal use though.

No comments: