Sunday, November 23, 2008

'twas the night before...

Isn't there something in the "Twas the Night Before Christmas" story about just settling in for a long winter's rest when on the roof there arose such a clatter, I sprung from my bed to see what was the matter? Well, let's see...twas the night before a new work week and I had just nessled into my bed, had visions of all things pumpkin dancing in my head, the clatter was my brain realizing I had not blogged yet today, I sprang from bed thinking what could it matter. Oh but it does matter...for 8 more NaBloPoMo days it matters.

So, as long as I was envisioning pumpkin...as in pumpkin desserts...I might as well go with that flow. I've been assigned to bring a pumpkin dessert for our holiday dinner at work and before going to bed I had double checked the recipe for the Traditional Pumpkin Pie I would be making out of Jello pudding, milk, and a ready made grahmn cracker crust. That's about as traditional as I get. I've never baked a real pumpkin pie and my oven only heats up on top, no bottom, so I don't think I'd have much luck trying it this year. I'd love to make my mom's pumpkin cake but 1) I cannot hold a candle to her magery (I think that's a combination of magic & mastery) when it comes to pumpkin cake and 2) I've already established that my oven is a POS.

So, yes I am taking the easy way out. But I could take it one step easier further and simply bring this totally yummy looking Pumpkin Roll I bought from my son's DC fundraiser. It's pumpkin something or other rolled jellyroll style with a cream cheese mixture. Then I wouldn't have to put in any effort at all 'cept getting it out of the freezer that morning. But I think I'll hold off and take that for my contribution to our family dinner in Missouri next weekend. I'm sure the 4 hour trip will thaw it nicely to be able to serve at dinner. **Note to self: place pumpkin roll in a Tupperware container with my name on it so it looks like I actually made it.

I do love all things pumpkin. Can't wait 'til this time of year for the pumpkin shakes at Culver's. They also have a Pumpkin Pecan Cement Mixer (ala DQ's Blizzards) that I have to try. Speaking of Blizzards...DQ has the Pumpkin Pie Blizzard with a dollop of whip cream. Now, I figured they only had this heavenly concoction this time of year like Culver's, but I discovered earlier this year that the 6th St. DQ has them year round. Makes a girl's heart aflutter. I love pumpkin bread - especially with chocolate chips in it (best of two worlds). Pumpkin bars - especially with the cream cheese frosting. Hy-Vee was carrying pumpkin doughnut holes this year that I have never had. I have GOT to try the pumpkin pancakes at IHOP this year before it's too late. I think these would be to die for with their hazlenut syrup. "The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" is my favorite story. I'm just kidding but I was on a roll. Rolls - are there pumpkin rolls?

My love for pumpkin stems all the way back to when I was a kid and also connects me to my love for my grandmother. Now, she actually baked pumpkin pies and I would take the left over filling, freeze it, and eat it later as...whatelse?...pumpkin ice cream. I was ahead of my time. Baskin Robbins could have hired me to create flavors. Speaking of ice cream places...Cold Stone Creamery has a super awesome pumpkin ice cream cake (it's not all ice cream...there is cake too and it's awesome).

So, there you have it...I blogged today...and not just about nothing...but about one of my favorite things. I'm not usually a coffee drinker but if I don't get to bed I'm going to have to hit Starbucks in the morning for their Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Sweet Dreams Everyone!

No comments: