Thursday, April 03, 2008

DC or Bust...

It's almost 3 am and I just got back from taking Brendon out to leave for his trip to DC. You may remember how I was struggling with how I was going to be able to pay for this trip and be able to give my son something my parent's weren't able to give me. It all worked out and I couldn't be happier. In fact, I got a little teary when the final papers about the trip came home a couple weeks ago. You couldn't tell it by Brendon - Mr. Show No Emotion Whatsoever. He is just like his dad, a man of many words. All of his answers are either one word responses or "I don't know". It really is very irratating! I mean why isn't he jumping up and down for joy, screaming from the mountain tops (if there were mountain tops in Iowa)?!

So, I had totally planned on going shopping for snacks and last minute items and packing early in the evening and going to bed early since we had to be at the school at 2:30 am. Yeah - shopping became a mad dash because Brendon and a friend wanted to get in a round of golf in before the trip. They were supposed to be thinking FOUR in terms of "four score and seven years ago" not shouting FOUR on the golf course. (I know nothing about golf so that actually could be spelled FORE for all I know.) Then at 9:00 pm we starting searching for his baseball jacket he needed to pack in case of rain, to no avail. I searched every box I have shoved in every closet and could not find it. I still say it's at his dad's but a call over there came up with nothing either. Finally at 10:00 pm, I had to get some sleep, so I gave up.

They are taking charter buses to Chicago and flying to DC from there. After arriving around noon I would suspect, already on the first day, they go to Arlington National Cemetery and the Jefferson, Lincoln, & Washington monuments. They see those in the evening when it's all lit up. I can't remember all the other stops but things like Capital Hill, the White House, (3) of the Smithsonian museums, etc. The trip is so jam packed, they are going to be exhausted. Brendon might be running on the (2) gallon size baggies full of candy he packed. Plus he is sick. He came down with a pretty bad cold and he said he couldn't take any medicine along because there was a deadline to turn in any meds to the school nurse. I still think I could have called one of the trip organizers and gotten by but the truth is he probably wouldn't take it anyway without me there to force it down him.

So, I am freaking out a little about what if he gets seperated from the group, what if he gets hurt, what if the plane...nope, not going there...but I am trying not to be too overprotective so I told him to call or text me once today so I know they got there and once on Saturday so I know he hadn't been kidnapped along the way. In between times, I will be a nervous wreck and missing him terribly!

Dallas, on the other hand, is THRILLED to be having the house to himself for a few days. He is even skipping going to his dad's this weekend so he can enjoy it to the fullest. Hey, I can't blame him. I like the days I get the house to myself too!

1 comment:

perdido said...

I remember going on a DC trip too in 6th grade and now I am flabbergasted that they do that. 11 year olds with a few chaperones in the big city of DC???? Are they crazy! LOL