Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Young Life Cut WAY Too Short

So, I was going to post today another tale of the trying times in raising teenagers. I thought my world had been rocked at 5:30 am this morning with a ouspicious phone call (details to come) but it was rocked even harder about 9:00 am when I found out this young man (a co-worker until recently) had taken his own life. 20 years old and his life is over!

Look at him! A great looking guy with seemingly his whole life ahead of him. And he was THE SWEETEST guy too. He always had a smile on his face. And take a look at his obituary...at his accomplishments...National Honor Society, Secretary of State at Boys Nation, and 2005 Iowa Boys State Governor with American Legion. And a large family too - lots of siblings. How does all the things he had in his life become not enough to live for?!

And this girl (friend of the niece of a friend) who took her own life on Mother's Day this year.

A beautiful girl, just 15 years old. Distraught over a boyfriend or possible struggles with family. How is it that young people become to feel there is no hope? That things will never get better?

A good friend/former boyfriend of mine committed suicide 8 1/2 years ago and up until then I had always felt suicide was a selfish act. That the people who choose that particular way out don't think about those they leave behind. However, when it hit closer to home, I just felt such utter sadness at how hopeless my friend felt in his final moments. I feel that same sadness for these others as well.

In a way, at least with the teenagers, I have to wonder if suicide and death have become somewhat glamourized. I mean look at how everyone pours out their emotions and love when someone dies, especially if their death was tragic. I just wonder if, for some, this seems like a way to finally feel that people love them. And how tragic that it's too little too late!

Steve...that's his name. He lived for two days following the actual act. He was a registered organ donor. Who knows how many others will live now following his death. That is a gift...but oh my God...the price!

I've sent my condolences to the family expressing how absolutely heartbroken I am for them and for Steve. How sweet and kind I thought he was and how, although slightly shy, I believed him to be a gentlemen. That I am sorry for their loss and that I can only hope that Steve is at peace and that in time, the family will find peace as well.

Please include them your prayers! Thank you.

1 comment:

perdido said...

So very sad and I used to think the whole selfish thing too and like you now I think how sad they felt so bad that suicide seems like a good idea?